Saturday, July 08, 2006

Nanny Knows Nothing

The assumption that fruit and vegetables are essential ingredients for any pretence at longevity is just that - an assumption. From Reddy Welcomes You, we hear that:

"The Campbell brothers of Aberdeen, Scotland, have all somehow or other defied medical advice to live to ripe old ages, despite the fact that John, 91, Jim, 88, Colin, 85, Sid, 82, and Doug, 78, have spurned vegetables in all their guises.

“They're a pain,'' John told the papers. “I've never liked them and I avoid them all the time. I can't think of anything worse than a plate of carrots.''"

Of course, there are quite a number of whole populations who would fail the UK government's five a day requirement and would end up flagged on our database, should they choose, rashly it would seem, to imigrate here. Reddy mentions some of these, ie: the Inuit, the Masai and pockets of people in remote Swiss villages, but I'm sure there are many others.

But why am I arguing this way at all? If people chose not to eat fs and vs that's their business, (though I have to say it would nice if they did contribute to their health care expenses).

No comments: