Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Younger Child Advantage

She's done it! Dd can swim ON TOP of the water and she's delighted with herself. Swimming underwater was fun, but she clearly sensed she was missing stuff that was going on over her head - which is after all, the perennial problem for the younger child.

Of course, there are advantages in being the youngest. She is so utterly determined to do stuff in order that she is able to join in, that she gets there pdq. There are the occasional bouts of frustration but almost no real anxiety. Total, unwavering belief in her capacity to do things...it is peculiar this child of mine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. How old is she?

Carlotta said...

Is nearly 4 and a half...and looking distinctly shrivelled this evening, having spent almost the entire day swimming.

Am so pleased I don't have to get in all the time now!

dawniy. said...

awwww well done !!!!

Carlotta said...

I'll pass on messages...plus re Hetty, the feeling is mutual...

Sorry H: I didn't intend this to happen but G and O both walked in when I was playing your pieces. Someone else (not HE) came by too, and inquired about it. O simply swelled with pride and said "she is my friend." He was very moved, as was I.

(I'd love to link, if only you'd give permission!!!)

Carlotta said...

Oh and Jax...I think I may have done something wrong re Mud Pud blogring...am not sure what, but didn't get a confirmatory message in my email. Is there anything I should do?

Anonymous said...

I haven't had any notification that you've applied to the ring, so yes, it must have gone wrong.

Having some server difficulties atm anyway, but when we're back, try again.

Carlotta said...

Thanks Jax...will definitely try again some time soon.