Sunday, September 27, 2009

More on the Missing Guidelines

I suppose it is possible that the dementing process has advanced to that crucial point where I actually notice it's happening but haven't gone so far as to completely miss this point all over again, and tbh, I really can't rule this out, given that my family and a few other disreputable characters of my acquaintance are quite convinced that I have manifested clear symptoms on numerous occasions throughout the months and yes, OK, even years, but it is quite clear to me just now that some sort of threshold has been reached, whether in reality or in my own head, whereby I suddenly notice that peculiar things are happening.

Thing is, I wrote a blog post a few days ago which I could swear contained the appropriate links to the cached version of the 2007 Elective Home Education Guidelines. Yes, I had already taken into account that the DCSF had removed the 2007 guidelines from their normal location, so I did what any normal person would have done, (or at least I think I did) and went off and found them elsewhere and linked to this version of the guidelines.

However, on being alerted to a problem with the link by a commentator a few days later, I checked the link again and lo and behold, I was taken directly to Graham Badman's review of home education.

Hmm. Not wishing to continue to be misleading, I am now, thanks to Renegade Parent, linking to another, hopefully more reliable version of the EHE guidelines.

Another post by Renegade, this time on the subject of raising the profile of an issue, perhaps explains my earlier predicament. Is it that the DCSF would like those in search of guidelines to assume that Graham Badman's report is already law? That, after all, would save them a bunch of trouble with actually having to legislate for the recommendations.

But then again, of course, I could be just dementing.

No comments: